The C.D. Howe Institute, Canada’s leading independent, non-partisan public policy research institute, is putting out a call for Intelligence Memos from recent Canadian PhD graduates since 2018, and current Canadian PhD students expecting to graduate in 2022 or 2023. The purpose of the program is to provide a platform for new or soon-to-be PhD graduates to raise their profiles, showcase their ideas, and build professional networks.
Intelligence Memos, the C.D. Howe Institute’s 500-800 word blog series, are focused on timely policy intelligence communicated in a quick and digestible manner. The Institute is interested in a broad set of topics, although preference will be given to Memos investigating the following:
- Fiscal and monetary sustainability and stability;
- Scaling small and medium-sized businesses;
- Healthcare emergency preparedness, resiliency and sustainability;
- The global energy transition;
- Better labour market outcomes for youth; and
- Supply chain resiliency in a post-pandemic world.
A Jury of prominent academics, and practitioners in government, business, labour and/or the professions will review the Memos. In addition to making a significant contribution to Canadian economic policy, the criteria for a successful Memo include:
- Soundness and originality of the analysis with respect to issue identification;
- Authoritative analysis that illuminates the issues and supports the conclusions;
- Written in an accessible style, such that the Memo can be read and understood not only by experts, but also by the informed public.
The Jury will select an overall winner, as well as four other top Memos. The overall winner will see their Memo published by the Institute, subject to passing the Institute’s internal review process. In addition, they will receive:
- An invitation to, and recognition at, the Institute Annual Director’s Dinner;
- Two free Institute conference registrations with travel costs from within Canada included; and
- Potential for expansion into a full-length paper within the Institute’s E-Brief publication series.
The top four remaining candidates will have also their Memo published, subject to passing the Institute’s internal review process, and will receive one free conference registration with travel costs from within Canada included.
The Institute welcomes applications from a wide range of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Interested candidates should forward a short biographical note along with their Intelligence Memo submission, preferably via e-mail, and no later than February 15, 2022, to:
Personnel Manager, C.D. Howe Institute, Suite 300, 67 Yonge Street, Toronto M5E 1J8, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Institute, please visit our website at www.cdhowe.org
The C.D. Howe Institute thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for publication will be contacted.