Employment Opportunity: Communications Officer
The C.D. Howe Institute is an independent not-for-profit organization that aims to raise Canadians’ living standards by fostering economically sound public policies. It is a trusted source of essential policy intelligence, with research that is rigorous, evidence-based, and peer-reviewed.
The Institute is seeking a Communications Officer to support its public relations and communications efforts.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications and Public Affairs, the Communications Officer will provide internal and external communications support with a primary focus on writing, social and traditional media, project coordination and web maintenance and will also assist with developing and executing key communication strategies.
There is a one year probationary period, and could become permanent for the right candidate subject to the Institute’s budget.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree with particular focus or experience in communications and marketing and/or a strong focus on political science or economics with experience in communications.
Applicants should have substantial communications experience and a proven ability to work under pressure of competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Develop and write content and other information for communications materials targeted at various audiences including Institute members, policy stakeholders, media, the informed public, and its various online assets.
- Assist with development of quarterly reports, annual reports, newsletters, or other communications materials.
- Assist in the development and execution of a social media plan by leveraging current social media channels and digital analytics to promote the Institute.
- Maintain currency of the Institute’s website content as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with high attention to accuracy, detail and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Familiarity with website administration, content management, and social media best practices.
- Self-starter with drive, initiative and creativity able to prosper in a challenging fast past environment.
- Active interest in Canadian policy issues, with a high level of understanding of Canadian economics, history, politics, and governance.
- Strong command of Adobe Creative suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition) is an asset.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Start date as soon as possible, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply without delay.
To Apply: We look forward to hearing from interested candidates. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those being interviewed will be contacted.