Employment Opportunity: Communications Officer
The C.D. Howe Institute is an independent not-for-profit organization whose mission is to raise Canadians’ living standards by fostering economically sound public policies. It is a trusted source of trusted policy intelligence, with research that is rigorous, evidence-based, and peer-reviewed.
The Institute is seeking a Communications Officer to support its public relations and communications efforts.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Public Affairs, the Communications Officer will provide internal and external communications support with a primary focus on writing, social and traditional media, and project management.
This prestigious, growth opportunity is available to professionals with a Bachelor’s degree related to communications and marketing journalism and/or a strong focus in political science or economics. A self-starter with drive, the ideal candidate thrives in a challenging fast-paced environment. The candidate must possess strong inter-personal skills, enthusiasm, and the ability to work in a team setting. In all cases, applicants should bring 3+ years of communications or marketing experience.
- Develop and write content and other information for communications materials targeted at various audiences including Institute members, policy stakeholders, media, and the informed public.
- Assist with development of quarterly reports, annual reports, newsletters, or other communications materials.
- Maintain currency of the Institute’s digital properties and online content as required.
- Write and pitch editorial content to external sources to promote the Institute and our key messages.
- Write news releases, backgrounders and other materials for major announcements.
- Create social media content and manage social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube).
- Create graphics, infographics and visual content to disseminate and promote Institute research.
- Active interest in Canadian policy issues, with a high level of understanding of Canadian economics, history, politics, and governance.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, communications, journalism or related fields or recognized equivalent required.
- At least 3+ years of experience in public relations, communications, marketing, or journalism.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with a strong commitment to accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate advanced academic material to a number of different audiences, including researchers and the public.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines with accuracy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 Suite of applications.
- Experience with website administration, content management, web analytics and social media analytics. Strong working ability with WordPress, Drupal, Salesforce, Pardot, Google Analytics or other equivalent web analytic tools.
- Experience managing multiple social media channels and providing marketing insights from social data analytics.
- Excellent design sense in line with composition, colour, photography and typography.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, or Adobe InDesign.
- Bilingualism (English/French).
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Start date as soon as possible, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply without delay.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only successful applicants will be contacted.