“Regulator” Reform: 2018 Annual Financial Services Conference
Special Policy Conference
Member $250 | Guest $450 | Table of 6 $1,500
Please contact Tammy Trepanier, Event Planner, to register:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Session I – Mandate Review: Is it Time for Change?
The conference will begin with a discussion on mandate review. Our panel of experts will discuss if Canada’s regulatory bodies have the appropriate mandate in the post-Crisis era and if we balance consumer protection while also keeping a competitive edge.
- Don Forgeron, President and Chief Executive Officer, Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Nicholas Le Pan, Chair, C.D. Howe Institute’s Financial Services Research Initiative; Former Superintendent of Financial Institutions, Canada
- Ian Russell, President and Chief Executive Officer, Investment Industry Association of Canada
Session II – Regulatory Ease: Where is the Pendulum?
This session will provide an in-depth discussion on the current state of the Canadian regulatory landscape, focusing on the swing of the pendulum towards stability and its impact on Canada’s economic growth.
- Peter Levitt, Executive Vice President and Treasurer, CIBC
- Pierre Siklos, Professor of Economics, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Philipp Wassenberg, President and Chief Executive Officer, Munich Re
Session III – Cooperation and Harmonization: Where are the Gaps?
This session will discuss the appropriate monitoring of systemic risk, avoiding conflicting regulations, as well as the political and budgetary oversight of regulatory mandates at both the federal and provincial levels.
- Frank Chong, Acting Superintendent, Financial Institutions Commission B.C.
- Kevan Cowan, Chief Executive Officer, Capital Markets Authority Implementation Organization
- Mark White, Chief Executive Officer, Financial Services Regulatory Authority
Session IV – Canada and the World: How do we Compare?
The conference will conclude with a conversation on how Canada’s regulatory bodies compare to those in other jurisdictions. Panelists will focus on advancements since the financial crisis and keeping up with the rapid pace of innovation.
- Ali Ghiassi, Vice-President of Industry and Government Relations, Great-West Life
- Colin Simpson, Chief Financial Officer, Aviva Canada