This conference is presented in collaboration by three of the leading think tanks in Canada, the C.D. Howe Institute, the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy, and CIRANO, together with the Toronto Financial Services Alliance.
The landscape for financial advice, in Canada as elsewhere in the world, stands on the brink of a profound transformation.
This March, senior leaders will come together to tackle the public policy implications of this new landscape as it affects the access to financial advice for Canadians of all income and wealth levels.
This two day conference includes dinner on March 30th, with a keynote address by T. Timothy Ryan Jr., Chairman, Santander Holdings USA
Registration fee of $299 includes admission to conference and dinner.
More Information on the Event:
Due to four distinct, but concomitant trends, the landscape for financial advice in Canada is about to change:
- An uncertain and volatile market (and geopolitical) environment, with hard-to-assess asset prices and values, low expected returns, and unsteady employment circumstances;
- Rapid technological advances, which impact the cost and the ways of providing advice, and transform the client experience;
- The coming of age of new financial products (ETFs, etc.) and investment strategies (passive, smart beta, etc.);
- Keen interest and concerns on the part of regulatory authorities with respect to advisor conduct, resulting in an increasing number of regulatory proposals with the stated aim of enhancing consumer protection and market efficiency.
An aspect, however, seems not have received the requisite attention: the public policy implications of this new landscape inasmuch as it affects the access to financial advice for Canadians of all income and wealth levels.
This Conference aims to provide a neutral forum for an examination of these public policy implications. It features panelists and speakers from a range of institutions and hopes to provide thorough analysis, food for thought and reflection, not mainly at the technical, but more broadly at the policy-making level. As such, it should be of interest to prospective attendees from industry, regulators, the academic world and policy-making circles.
With New Confirmed Speaker: Charles Sousa, Minister of Finance, Ontario
Other Confirmed Speakers:
- Adam Felesky, President, Portag3 Ventures and former Chief Executive Officer, Horizons ETFs
- Andrew Kriegler, President and Chief Executive Officer, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada
- Benoit Perron, Professor, Département de sciences économiques, Université de Montréal
- Bill Harris, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Personal Capital
- Claude Montmarquette, Fellow, CIRANO
- Dr. Patrick Ring, Glasgow School for Business and Society
- Dwight Duncan, Senior Strategic Advisor, McMillan LLP
- Gilles Leclerc, Superintendent, Securities Markets, Autorité des marchés financiers
- Henri-Paul Rousseau, Vice-Chairman, Power Financial Corporation
- Honourable Joe Oliver
- Ian Russell, President and Chief Executive Officer, Investment Industry Association of Canada
- Jack Mintz, President’s Fellow, The School of Public Policy, University of Calgary
- Jane Rooney, Financial Literacy Leader, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
- Janet Ecker, President and Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Financial Services Alliance
- Jim Engle-Warnick, Experimental Economics, McGill University
- Joanne de Laurentiis, former President and Chief Executive Officer, Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC)
- Kenneth E. Bentsen, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
- Liam Mason, Director of Regulation, Financial Markets Authority, New Zealand
- Louise Gauthier, Senior Director, Compensation and Distribution Policy, Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)
- Maureen Jensen, Chair, Ontario Securities Commission
- Nathalie de Marcellis-Warin, President & Chief Executive Officer, CIRANO
- Nicholas Thadaney, President and Chief Executive Officer, Global Equity Capital Markets,TMX Group
- Norma Nielson, Program Director, Financial Markets Regulation, The School of Public Policy, University of Calgary
- Ondrej Tobek, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge, UK
- Paul Bourque, President and Chief Executive Officer, Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC)
- Paul Redman, Chief Economist & Head of Research at the Ontario Securities Commission
- Pierre Lortie, Senior Business Advisor, Dentons
- Sheryl King, Advisor to the Governor, Bank of Canada
- Stan Magidson, Chair & Chief Executive Officer, Alberta Securities Commission
- Stephen Foerster, Ivey Business School, Western University
- Timothy M. Cohen, Head of Global Equity Research, FMR Co.
- T. Timothy Ryan Jr., Chairman, Santander Holdings USA
- Yves Choueifaty, Head, Executive Committee and Chief Investment Officer, TOBAM Asset Management
Click here to register now.