The Intelligence Memo CompetitionMarch 1, 2023
The C.D. Howe Institute, Canada’s leading independent, non-partisan public policy research institute, is launching a competition for outstanding Intelligence Memos and putting out a call for submissions. The purpose of the program is to provide a platform for new or soon-to-be graduates to raise their profile, showcase their ideas, and build professional networks.
Intelligence Memos, the C.D. Howe Institute’s blog series of 500-800 word articles, are focused on timely policy intelligence that is communicated in a quick and digestible manner.
- Canadian recent PhD graduates (from 2020 on) or current PhD students on the job market, or entering the job market in Fall 2023;
- Canadian Master’s students graduating in the 2022-2023 school year or who are registered in a Master’s program for the 2023-2024 school year.
Criteria of Success
A Jury of prominent academics and practitioners in government, business, and labour will review the memos, based on the following criteria:
- Importance of the subject to raising Canadian living standards;
- Making a significant contribution to Canadian economic policy on a key issue;
- Soundness and originality of the analysis with respect to issue identification;
- Authoritative analysis that illuminates the issues and supports the conclusions;
- Written in an accessible style, such that the Memo can be read and understood not only by experts, but also by the informed public.
The Jury will select the top two winning Intelligence Memos, as well as four other top Memos.
Prize for the top two winning Intelligence Memos:
- The two winning authors will receive $2,000;
- They will be invited to and recognized at a flagship public event in 2023 with travel costs of up to $1,500 included;
- Their Intelligence Memos will be published, subject to meeting publication standards; and
- The winning Intelligence Memos will potentially be expanded into a C.D. Howe Institute Commentary/E-Brief policy paper (if they pass the Institute’s usual internal approval process).
The top four remaining candidates will have an opportunity to get their Intelligence Memo published, subject to meeting publication standards.
The Institute welcomes applications from a wide range of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Interested candidates should forward a short biographical note along with their Intelligence Memo submission, preferably via e-mail, and no later than June 30, 2023, to:
Personnel Manager, C.D. Howe Institute, Suite 300, 67 Yonge Street, Toronto M5E 1J8, Email: email@example.com
For more information about the Institute, please visit our website at www.cdhowe.org
The C.D. Howe Institute thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for publication will be contacted.