Contribute to raising Canadians’ living standards and making Canada a great place to live, work and innovate.
Are you an experienced public affairs professional? Do you understand stakeholder relations and the political/government environment? Are you interested in public policy and do you have a good understanding of Canadian public policy? Would you like to work with a non-profit, non-partisan organization?
If your answer is “Yes”, keep reading!
- Competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to do challenging and meaningful work.
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan with employer match
- Annual wellness account
- Group benefit plan including health and dental benefits, as well as life insurance.
- Hybrid work environment with prime downtown Toronto location close to transit
As a Government Relations Officer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the Institute's interactions with policymakers, government officials, and other key stakeholders. Leveraging existing relationships, and developing additional contacts where needed, with political bodies and decision-makers to allow for expert analysis and insights into current public policy priorities.
Additional responsibilities include:
Manage stakeholder relations.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive stakeholder engagement and education strategy.
- Promote the Institute's research and activities among policymakers in alignment with our non-partisan mission.
- Oversee and analyze the Institute's engagement with government stakeholders.
- Oversee the development and growth of stakeholder mapping in priority areas.
- Represent the Institute in engagements with government officials and other stakeholders.
Produce high-quality briefing documents leveraging the Institute's research, expertise, and network during periods of government transition, platform development, budget cycles, and other policy fluidity.
Monitor and analyze government policy and publications.
- Monitor government publications, schedules, and legislation for opportunities to promote Institute analysis and insights.
- Track and analyze public policy developments and legislative changes in priority areas.
Support the Institute’s communication efforts.
- Support communication efforts during stakeholder engagements
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to ensure a unified and effective approach.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a stakeholder or political government environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, or a related field, or a combination of educational background and experience.
- Proven track record in developing and executing successful stakeholder engagement strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience in producing high-quality briefing documents.
- Strong understanding of public policy, government processes, and legislative frameworks.
- Ability to represent the Institute professionally and maintain a non-partisan approach.
- Proactive, strategic thinker with the ability to navigate complex political landscapes.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines with accuracy
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a team player
The C.D. Howe Institute is Canada's leading economic think tank. It is an independent not-for-profit organization whose overarching mission is to raise Canadians’ living standards by fostering economically-sound public policies. Non-partisan in nature and national in scope, the Institute commissions authoritative peer-reviewed papers by recognized experts on emerging issues and convenes policy events that bring together private and public sector leaders.
How to Apply
We look forward to hearing from interested candidates.
To apply, please visit https://cdhowe.bamboohr.com/careers/5?source=aWQ9NQ%3D%3D
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
C.D. Howe Institute welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We are dedicated to building a more diverse and inclusive team that supports the people and communities that we serve and where we live. We embrace everyone and encourage job applications from every community.