IMCO – C.D. Howe Institute Policy Research Internships
The Investment Management Corporation of Ontario (IMCO), a multi-client asset manager of public-sector assets, is creating six paid internships each of four months in duration at the C.D. Howe Institute, for the summer of 2021.
These positions offer a unique opportunity to inform debates over economic and social policy in Canada. Reporting to a permanent member of the Institute's research team, and working under their guidance to provide research support on a project-by-project basis, the ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in economics – preferably a masters in economics or in a field with a strong economics component;
- Demonstrated empirical research grounding in Canadian economic and/or social policy topics;
- An active interest in Canadian policy issues, with some background in Canadian history, politics, public finance and governance;
- Five of the interns will be focussed on policy research; one will design interactive infographics for use online and on social media that highlight key research insights;
- Superior ability to communicate, orally and in writing, to specialist and non-specialist audiences; bilingualism would be an asset; and
- A firm grasp of Stata statistical software.
Each IMCO Policy Research intern will have an opportunity to research and co-author a key C.D. Howe Institute project, which may be published by the Institute if it meets its peer-review standards, and on which they will be expected to present toward the end of their internship. While this will be their core project, interns will also be expected to respond, within the timelines identified, to requests for data, literature reviews, or analysis from senior research staff pertaining more generally to Institute research projects or presentations. Interns participate in the life of the research department, experiencing how the team evaluates projects and interacts with other departments such as communications.
To Apply: The Institute welcomes expressions of interest from qualified applicants. Applicants should forward a résumé along with a covering letter via e-mail to: email@example.com by Friday, June 4 at 5:00 p.m. Candidates must live in Canada and be eligible to work here. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those being interviewed will be contacted.
About IMCO: The Investment Management Corporation of Ontario (IMCO) manages $73.3 billion of assets on behalf of its clients. IMCO’s mandate is to provide broader public sector institutions with investment management services, including portfolio construction advice, better access to a diverse range of asset classes and sophisticated risk management capabilities. IMCO is an independent organization, operating at arm’s length from government and guided by a highly experienced and professional Board of Directors.
About the C.D. Howe Institute: The C.D. Howe Institute is an independent not-for-profit research institute whose mission is to raise living standards by fostering economically sound public policies. Widely considered to be Canada's most influential think tank, the Institute is a trusted source of essential policy intelligence, distinguished by research that is nonpartisan, evidence-based and subject to definitive expert review.