About the C.D. Howe Institute

The C.D. Howe Institute is an independent not-for-profit research institute whose mission is to raise living standards by fostering economically sound public policies. Widely considered to be Canada's most influential think tank, the Institute is a trusted source of essential policy intelligence, distinguished by research that is nonpartisan, evidence-based and subject to definitive expert review.

Get the App

Our Funding


-A A +A

Charitable Status

As a registered Canadian charity, the C.D. Howe Institute accepts donations to further its mission from individuals, private and public organizations, and charitable foundations.

Commitment to Independence

Analytical rigour, independence and nonpartisanship are core Institute values that inform its approach to the types of donations it will accept. The Institute will not accept donations that stipulate a predetermined result or policy stance, or otherwise inhibit its independence, or that of its staff and authors, in pursuing scholarly activities or disseminating research results. Learn more about the C.D. Howe Institute’s Commitment to Quality.




Donations to policy councils (18%) support work in major research areas, such as international economic policy, healthcare, and pensions. Endowments and research grants (17%) support work in the areas to which they are directed, such as monetary policy. These sources combined accounted for 35% of the Institute’s income in 2017.


Events (22% of the Institute’s income in 2017) represent income from attendee fees and sponsorships.

Annual Philanthropic Support

Institute members make tax-receiptable donations to support the Institute’s mission. Academic, corporate and individual donations (36%) and public sector subscriptions (6%) together accounted for 42% of the Institute’s income in 2017.

Annual Report on Giving

For a full list of donors, see our latest Annual Report on Giving.

Connect with Us

© 2018 C.D. Howe Institute. All Rights Reserved.

Connect with Us

© 2018 C.D. Howe Institute. All Rights Reserved.